CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Ethan's First Research Project.....

I found out last Friday night that Ethan had a Research Project due this Friday! WOW, I cant believe second grade they are already doing research projects... Dont get me wrong. Love it but it still surprises me that we are in Second grade doing research projects! ha ha! So Daddy and Ethan did most of it over the weekend and Mommy and Ethan finished it up this week. They had to pick a Plant to research. Of course Ethan was like OOOH the VENUS FLYTRAP! ha ha! Had to be something cool and gruesome! ha ha! So we have been studying it and watching a bunch of stuff about it online! We had to identify all the parts of the plant... Roots, Leaves, Stems and Flowers. Then we had to tell about where the plant lives... and what it needs for it to grow. Okay let me just brag a bit... Doesnt he have great penmenship? Im always amazed at how neatly he writes! So here it is done already and waiting to turn in on Friday.
I will add that I learned a bunch of neat things about this plant! The trap is actually the leaf. It has six trigger hairs inside the trap. And it can differentiate between rain and a bug! So one hair has to be hit twice in a row or if one hair is tripped and then another in less than 20 seconds it will close shut. It only takes 1 second to close its trap. If the trap traps something to large that makes it unable to close around it completely it will actually kill the leaf and have it turn black and die! Interesting! ha ha! It normally stays closed around its prey for 10 days more or less depending on how healthy the plant is and all that is left when it opens is the bugs skeleton and that will blow away in the wind or wash away in the rain! OOh and my neatest thing I learned is that this plant ONLY natively grows in North and South Carolina! About a 60 mile radius of Wilmington, North Carolina to be exact! It can grow other places but not just by itself it has been planted the other places that they grow!
Okay now that you are all bored! ha ha ha! It was a fun project to work on but I am now over projects! ha ha! This is why I dont go back to college! I dont like homework! ha ha!

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty neat. I would have thought it was somewhere exotic that it grew. Huh. Your blog is very informative! hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL... I know, right..all the things you never really NEEDED to know! LOL!

    ReplyDelete